Where is this permit required?
1. The land use permit is required in all zoned townships.
2. It is also required in all unzoned townships within the shoreland/wetland and floodplain jurisdictions.
When is this permit required?
- The permit is required when building a new structure, adding to, modifying or structurally altering any existing building or structure.
- The permit is required when adding accessory structures including, but not limited to, pools, decks, towers, satellite dishes, sheds and garages.
Prerequisites for obtaining a land use permit:
- The zoning district must allow the proposed use.
- A sanitary permit is needed for new dwellings, some additions to dwellings and for any other structure that will have plumbing.
- An access (driveway) permit is necessary for moving or placing new driveways on public roads and for changing the type of use on most driveways, such as converting a field access to a residential driveway.
- A description of the uses proposed must be supplied to staff to prevent unforeseen problems from becoming serious.
- A Scaled Site Plan must be submitted which has been drawn to scale or with accurate dimensions that show the following.
- The building dimensions.
- The distance to lot the lines, road centerline and right-of-way line.
- The location of the well and the sanitary system.
- The location of other existing improvements such as buildings.
- The distance to any bodies of water or wetlands.
- The distance from the driveway centerline to the property line.