Eau Claire County’s Shoreland Ordinance was adopted by the Eau Claire County Board on January 17, 2017. The ordinance amendments to the county code relating to the shoreland regulations are necessary for compliance with Wisconsin Administrative Code NR 115, Shoreland Protection Program and Wisconsin Statutes Section 59.692. The county last amended its shoreland standards in 1982. At that time the county was required to update its shoreland regulations to comply with the state minimum shoreland regulations. Eau Claire County has been administering and enforcing shoreland provisions countywide since 1968.
In the development of this ordinance, staff utilized the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR) model shoreland zoning ordinance for creating Title 20, Shoreland Protection Overlay District.
Shoreland zoning rules, summarized within statutes and administrative code, have changed six times since 2010. In the past, counties were allowed to adopt shoreland zoning standards that were more restrictive than those contained in Wisconsin Administrative Code NR 115. As of the signing of 2015 Wisconsin Act 55 by the governor, counties cannot regulate a matter in their shoreland zoning ordinance more restrictively than the matter is regulated by a shoreland zoning standard contained in Wis. Admin. Code NR 115. However, counties can continue to regulate a matter that is not regulated by shoreland zoning.
In an effort to assist the public, our department has developed the guides listed below, as well as provided several informative links.
EC County Information
- 2010 Census – Urbanized Area Reference Map: Eau Claire, WI
- Title 20: Shoreland Protection Overlay District
- Shoreland Standards Guide
- Wisconsin Administrative Code: NR 115
- Wisconsin Statutes: 59.692
- Eau Claire County Land Use Application (Printable / Fillable)
- The Water’s Edge
- Rain Gardens: A How-to Manual for Homeowners
- Shoreland Restoration – A Growing Solutions
- Restoration Stories
- Impervious Surfaces
- Care & Handling of Bare Root Seedlings
- Rainfall Information for Developing Rainwater Collection Systems